February 9, 2009

i'm going to talk about climbing

i've only been able to climb outside twice since i got back from mexico. it's a shame, really. one of the climbing days was a bad one and the other one was quite awesome. i'm not going to dwell on that particular bad climbing day... they happen. just as the good ones do too.

one big lesson that i took away from climbing in mexico was to believe in myself. i needed a little self confidence to get over the fear of leading (sport that is... trad is another story, another trip, another day). there are routes that i KNOW i can do and i'm learning how to not let my mental block stop me. so this is what i decided to say to myself every time i wanted to or even thought about backing away from a route: "just suck it up and do it already!!!" yes... i sound silly because i end up talking to myself half the time and while climbing, but so far... it's worked. before mexico i was reluctant to lead anything harder than a 5.9. yesterday, i onsighted a 10b,c and d! these are humble grades, but to me they represent a step in the right direction. up.

1 comment:

DesertWanderer said...

I completely know what it's like to have that block in leading. Sometimes it's there for me, other times it's not. I always envy the people who can lead at the same grade they follow at.